Accumulo >> mail # dev >> On ticket management

Re: On ticket management
I agree wholeheartedly with John's thoughts on this.

Having somebody act as the gatekeeper for each realm is useful, but it is
not necessary to assign everything in that realm to the gatekeeper. It is
my opinion that the "Assignee" field should refer to somebody who is either
working on the issue or has plans to work on the issue soon. Once a patch
is written by a contributor, the issue can be placed in a "Patch Submitted"
workflow state and the realm owner/gatekeeper can know to look at it. Yes,
there might be growing pains, but I think that as the project grows they
will help streamline things.

Eric, your concerns with tickets falling by the wayside are legitimate.
However, I see "Unassigned" as an indicator that everybody is invited to
consider the issue instead of a single person being tasked with solving the
issue.

Additionally, having issues reflect what people are actually working on
makes software road maps much easier to grok. If I see that a single
developer has 200 issues open, I have no idea which of those I can expect
to appear in the next release, or the one after that. Seeing a feature that
I might want as unassigned tells me that nobody has put it on their task
list and I shouldn't expect it to be done anytime soon (unless I do it
myself).

-Mike