Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project

Sharad Agarwal 2012-08-30, 06:41
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 2:48 AM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have we not learned our lessons from the last attempts to split?
>
> Let's just embrace contention as a fact of life on a high-profile
> high-stakes project and get back to work.

+1.

Having me worked and wasted cycles on project split earlier, I agree with
Todd.

IMO these are not matured enough to fly off independently and to make that
happen needs good amount of upfront investment in terms of
build/repo/jira/wiki/mailing lists and then recurring pain till the point
the interfaces are stabilized, duplicate code, cross stack testing and what
not. It is a big mess with very little gain. There are much more pressing
problems to solve and TLP for each of these projects is not just worth it.

We are making great progress in terms of Hadoop 1.0 and 2.0. I believe we
should not derail these efforts unnecessarily.