Hadoop, mail # user - PriorityQueueWritable

Re: PriorityQueueWritable
Chris Nauroth 2012-10-15, 18:37
I think it would work, but I'm wondering if it would be easier for your
application to restructure the keys emitted from the mapper tasks so that
you can take advantage of the sorting inherently done during the shuffle.

For each reduce task, your reducer code will receive keys emitted from
mappers in sorted order.  Therefore, if the keys emitted from your mapper
contain the item's priority, then the shuffle would provide the sort order
that you need.  This might lead you down the path of writing a custom
WritableComparable to use as the map output key, but this is usually pretty
trivial.

Also, keep in mind that if you run multiple reduce tasks, then each reducer
receives a subset of the keys emitted from the mapper.  Depending on your
application logic, this may or may not be a problem.

Thanks,
--Chris