HBase >> mail # dev >> Thoughts about large feature dev branches

Re: Thoughts about large feature dev branches
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM, lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I hope we're not mandating using github or even git.
> If a group of folks get together and decide to work together on a feature it should be up to them to decide how to organize themselves.
> If they want to use github (which probably is the most obvious choice) that is fine, but if they decide to SVN, P4, CVS, Mercurial, bzr (or VisualSourceSafe :) )... That should be up to them, as long as the end result is a stream of patches that can be applied to the canonical SVN repository.

Agreed.

Text in refguide that I committed earlier is this (no explicit git
requirement or githubbery):

Feature Branches are easy to make.  You do not have to be a committer
to make one.  Just request the name of your branch be added to JIRA up
on the developer's mailing list and a committer will add it for you.
Thereafter you can file issues against your feature branch in HBase
JIRA.  Your code you keep elsewhere -- it should be public so it can
be observed -- and you can update dev mailing list on progress.   When
the feature is ready for commit, 3 +1s from committers will get your
feature merged

<footnote><para>See <link
xlink:href="http://search-hadoop.com/m/uPNz32C5FkS1&subj=Re+Thoughts+about+large+feature+dev+branches">HBase,
mail # dev - Thoughts about large feature dev

The footnote references this thread so your comment above about any
VCS will do will be picked up Lars.

St.Ack