Bigtop >> mail # user >> Cluster Management: OpenSource & Vendor Options

Re: Cluster Management: OpenSource & Vendor Options
The reason for not-much activity on that JIRA is because Ambari seems to be
drifting away from real-life orchestration systems like Puppet toward
something else. And that's exactly why I prefer to use Puppet or Chef
orchestration - you have a state machine that works in the same way on every
supported platform.

In 20 years of doing system and network administration as well as software
development I've seen times and again how the fancy UI applications fail to
deliver on their promise. Main reason is in the shifting of the focus on the
bling instead of the core functionality.

Cloudera's CM is a perfect example of my point, because it is doing totally
heinous things with standard Linux services, their life-cycle and
configurations up to the point where any sane Hadoop devops would be helpless
to do anything without CM. Ambrai seems to be a bit better in this respect.
However, with the development above and replacement of the Puppet I am not
sure how much longer it will be the case.

Happy New Year everyone!
  Cos