HBase >> mail # dev >> TestHLog hanging in trunk

+
Gary Helmling 2011-10-05, 18:23
+
Gary Helmling 2011-10-05, 18:55
+
Jesse Yates 2011-10-05, 18:59
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-10-05, 19:00
+
Gary Helmling 2011-10-05, 19:13
+
Stack 2011-10-05, 22:05
+
Gary Helmling 2011-10-05, 22:26
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-10-05, 22:47
+
Gary Helmling 2011-10-06, 00:52
Re: TestHLog hanging in trunk
I created HBASE-4545 to clean up TestHLog.

Among other things, it didn't even need to spin up a MiniHBaseCluster, only
a MiniDFSCluster.  Several of the tests were also leaking unclosed HLog
instances.

Will post a patch shortly.
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Gary Helmling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > +CC Roman who worked on the patch identified by the bisect.
>>
>> Thanks for the CC. I've just subscribed myself to the list.
>>
>> > Roman, does Gary's analysis make sense to you?
>>
>> Hm. I need to look into it. There *could* be some issues with the
>> mini-cluster,
>> since I've enabled a whole new codepath for it.
>>

> I'm thinking this may just be sloppiness or lack of cleanup in TestHLog
> that was just exposed by the HBASE-4209 change.  Even if I revert the change
> to JVMClusterUtil from 4209 and instead use the patch to call shutdown in
> TestHLog.tearDownAfterClass(), I still get hangs every 3-4 runs when
> executing TestHLog in a loop.
>
> Previously, when TestHLog had neither the shutdown hook nor an explicit
> shutdown of the mini cluster, I'm guessing that the test would "pass" even
> though the mini cluster never fully shut down.  So it's good to have the
> shutdown hooks in place for tests to help us ferret out these issues.

+
Stack 2011-10-06, 03:49
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-10-07, 00:42