Avro, mail # user - Avro file Compression

Re: Avro file Compression
Bill Baird 2013-08-22, 14:47
As with any compression, how much you get depends on the size and nature of
the data.  I have objects where unserialized they take 4 or 5k, and they
serialize to 1.5 to 3k, or about 2 to 1.  However, for the same object
structure (which contains several nested arrays ... lots of strings,
numbers ... basic business data) when uncompressed it 17MB, it deflates to
1MB (or 17 to 1).  For very small objects, deflate will actually produce a
larger output, but it does quite well as the size of the data being
deflated grows.

Bill