HBase >> mail # dev >> About distributed lock service in HBase

+
Brady Zhong 2013-04-08, 14:39
+
Nicolas Liochon 2013-04-08, 15:13
+
Brady Zhong 2013-04-08, 15:27
+
Nicolas Liochon 2013-04-08, 15:34
+
Ted Yu 2013-04-08, 16:22
Re: About distributed lock service in HBase
1. Yes the region servers can absolutely work while the master is down (for
a while).  Master is mostly there for administrative clean up duties ie,
balancing, assigning and creating tables.  Additionally there can be more
than one master process running at a time.  There's a leader election that
takes place in zookeeper and when a master goes down any backup masters
will elect a new functioning master.

2.  We do use zookeeper for locks.
2.1 Trunk and 0.95.0 all use zookeeper for locking table operations.
See HBASE-7305
 as Ted suggests.
2.2 Row locks exposed to the user don't use zookeeper since only one region
server is ever responsible for a row.  With that said row locks are being
removed in HBASE-7315 since they didn't provide the guarantees that some
users were expecting (locks didn't survive region move or server restart)