"Never run with -ea in production" is something Java experts usually say,
so to me they are effectively like our DCHECKs in C++. If an assert fires,
it's because there's a bug, and those checks are allowed to be more
expensive.

Preconditions are an easy way to verify input in a method, so IMO we should
be using them mostly/only in top-level APIs.

J-D