Avro >> mail # user >> Re: How to work around MAPREDUCE-1700

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Scott Carey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yup, Hadoop's jar dependency management is poor.
>
> I just repackaged hadoop and removed jackson 1.0.1 jar from it, so no slaves have Jackson in their lib directory.  Its only used for the 'dump configuration in JSON format' feature, which I don't use (and a minor feature that adds a jar should probably have gotten a lot of scrutiny before adding the jar/feature).
>
> Alternatively, since Jackson 1.x is backwards compatible to 1.0, one can replace 1.0.1 with 1.x.x on the slaves or in the package.

FWIW, it would be good to upgrade Jackson version to something more
modern -- incompatibility in question is very unfortunate (and
obviously accidental; minor versions should not introduce such
incompatibilities), and was caused by changing return type from void
to 'this' to allow method chaining (this actually is a major binary
incompatibility, but usually not source!) -- but upgrading to a later
version would be good anyway because 1.0.x itself is not being
maintained.
Safest bet would be latest 1.4.x or 1.5.x release. If any issues are
found please let me know and I can help.

Also: if one really wants to use 1.0.x jar, recompiling code that uses
it should be enough to make things work, since specific issue only
affects binary compatibility.

-+ Tatu +-