HBase >> mail # dev >> Heads up, HTablePool will be deprecated in 0.94, 0.95/0.96, and removed in 0.98

Re: Heads up, HTablePool will be deprecated in 0.94, 0.95/0.96, and removed in 0.98
On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM, lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let's do a little quiz:
>
> HTable t1 = new HTable(conf);
> t1.close();
>
> // 1. Will the next line create a new HConnection behind the scenes (along
> with re-creating all the caches)?
> // (If so, it will be expensive, if not, when is the first HConnection
> actually released?)
> HTable t2 = new HTable(conf);
>
> // 2. how about this one?
> HTable t2 = new HTable(new Configuration(conf));
>
> // 3. or now?
> conf.setInt(HConstants.HBASE_CLIENT_PAUSE, 2000);
> HTable t3 = new HTable(conf);
>
> // 4. and now?
> conf.setInt(HBASE_CLIENT_SCANNER_MAX_RESULT_SIZE_KEY, 1024000);
> HTable t4 = new HTable(conf);
>
> // 5. how many connections are opened now?
> t4.close();
>
> This stuff is convoluted and needlessly complicated. And this is not
> because the code is bad, but because the abstraction is simply inadequate.
> A client wants to connect to a cluster and then do some action on that
> cluster (via HTable as a convenience).
> If the cluster connection is implicit it leads to all of the above
> considerations.

Love the quiz.

+1 on your redo of our connection model (HConnection is a "cluster
connection".  I like that you have to get one of these first...)

St.Ack