Hadoop >> mail # user >> What should I do with a 48-node cluster

+
Mark Kerzner 2012-12-20, 03:17
+
Mohammad Tariq 2012-12-20, 03:23
+
Mark Kerzner 2012-12-20, 03:29
+
Mapred Learn 2012-12-20, 03:32
+
Mark Kerzner 2012-12-20, 03:35
Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster
Depending on the node characteristics, these might actually not be all that
much use.  Blades are usually designed assuming external storage like a
SAN.  That means that they usually don't have much disk which makes them
only OK for Hadoop work.

Also, what about the installation cost?  Do you have enough power and
cooling to host these boxes?  The cost of ops could easily exceed the cost
of the nodes in a short period of time.  Hardware is a deflationary asset
as evidenced by the willingness of people to nearly give away old hardware.
 Unfortunately, in many cases, the market price often really is a fair
estimate of what it would take to get the same capacity in newer hardware.

This hardware might be substantially under the market price.  That would be
neat.  On the other hand, it sounds like this same throughput might be had
with three 2U units with 12 drives and a single socket each.  The price on
that is probably around $20K.  Is that a better or worse deal than you are
getting?
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Mark Kerzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Someone wants to give me (OK, sell, but for the cheap) a 48-node cluster
> of decent blades, a few years old. Should I even thy to think of what to do
> with them, given that one can use dedicated servers and Amazon's EC2?
>
> Thank you. Sincerely,
> Mark

+
Michael Segel 2012-12-20, 15:38