Mark,

I had the same question!  Camus is super awesome, but doesn't have out of the box support for just writing Strings into HDFS.  I submitted this pull request to support that:

https://github.com/linkedin/camus/pull/28

You can clone this directly from the wikimedia branch of Camus:

https://github.com/wikimedia/camus/tree/wikimedia