Thanks - I'll ask on bigtop regarding the .deb requirement - it seems they don't abide by this.
I may merge a bit of your work into bigtop-989 if that's ok with you. I do know the bigtop folks
would like to see sbt support.
________________________________
 From: Andrew Otto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Kam Kasravi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Ken Goodhope <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Andrew Psaltis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Felix GV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Cosmin Lehene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: Kafka/Hadoop consumers and producers

The debian/ work was done mostly by another WMF staffer.  We tried and tried to make sbt behave with debian standards, most importantly the one that requires that .debs can be created without needing to connect to the internet, aside from official apt repositories.

Many of the /usr/share/java dependencies are handled by apt.  Any that aren't available in an official apt somewhere have been manually added to the ext/ directory.

The sbt build system has been replaced with Make:
https://github.com/wikimedia/operations-debs-kafka/blob/debian/debian/patches/our-own-build-system.patch

You should be able to build a .deb by checking out the debian branch and running:

  git-buildpackage -uc -us

-Ao