Hmm,

It looks as though adding multicast support is more an issue with the Metrics code rather than with kafka-ganglia.  The only way I could see to tell GangliaReporter to use multicast when sending messages was to pass it a GangliaMessageBuilder that constructed GangliaMessages using a proper MulticastSocket which sets the multicast TTL.

I attempted to do this like this:
https://gist.github.com/ottomata/7269312

However, GangliaMessageBuilder is not a public class, so I can't extend it as MulticastGangliaMessageBuilder.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I'd rather use this library but, it looks like I might have to go with jmxtrans after all.  Thoughts?

-Andrew