It seems to me option 1) is easer. Option 2) has the same issue as option
1) since you have to manage different while lists.

A more general solution is probably to change the consumer distribution
model to divide partitions across topics. That way, one can create as many
streams as total # partitions for all topics. We can look into that in the
future.

Thanks,

Jun