Ah,

I think I remember a previous discussion on a way to avoid the double
compression....

So would it be possible for the producer to send metadata with a compressed
batch that includes the logical offset info for the batch?  Can this info
just be a count of how many messages are in the batch?

And to be clear, if uncompressed messages come in, they remain uncompressed
in the broker, correct?

Jason