I have success when the number of messages is less then ~1200. With more
then 1200 it never completes.

Try changing the program to this:

      tkp = new TestKafkaProducer(
                    theTopic,
                    "localhost:" + zookeeperTestServer.getPort(),
                    4000);

ERROR 23:13:35,900 Thread Thread[main,5,main] died
java.lang.RuntimeException: oh rats... we failed
    at TestKafkaProducer.main(TestKafkaProducer.java:71)