Ok,

I added a comment to: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-998

I added suggestion about exposing recoverability back to the caller.  I'm
not 100% sure it's the same issue (since I'm concerned about the client
api), and the Jira seems concerned about returning quickly from the
internal retry if it's not retryable.  Let me know if it makes more sense
to create a separate Jira instead.

It seems that ticket already had info about automatically retrying with a
smaller batch size in response to a MessageToLargeException.  Let me know
if that warrants it's own Jira (can create that too).

Jason