I actually don't think quotas really needs to do cross-broker
communication. I think we can just enforce it at the topic-partition level
and have the leader do the check (even if the user expresses the quota at
the topic level we will just turn it into a per-partition limit by dividing
by the number of partitions). If any one is interested in this I would be
happy to help work through a design and help get it in.

-Jay