Thanks Neha & Guozhang,

When I ran StateChangeLogMerger, I am seeing this message repeated 16 times
for each partition:

[2013-08-27 12:30:02,535] INFO [ReplicaFetcherManager on broker 1] Removing
fetcher for partition [test-60,13] (kafka.server.ReplicaFetcherManager)
[2013-08-27 12:30:02,536] INFO [Log Manager on Broker 1] Created log for
partition [test-60,13] in
/home/relango/dev/mandm/kafka/main/target/dist/mandm-kafka/kafka-data.
(kafka.log.LogManager)

I am also seeing .log and .index files created for this topic in data dir.
Also list topic command shows leaders, replicas and isrs for all
partitions. Do you still think increasing num of retries would help or is
it some other issue..? Also console Producer doesn't seem to  have option
to set num of retries. Is there a way to configure num of retries for
console producer ?

Thanks,
Raja.