Paul,

I don't think there is currently a way to detect this condition
apart from alerting off consumer metrics or logs.

However, I'm not sure it can be called a "fatal" condition in that
the brokers could re-register in zookeeper and consumption would then
resume; unless someone decides to move a Kafka cluster to some
other zookeeper namespace without telling anyone.

What would be a suitable action on the application-side if such a
condition were propagated back to the application as an exception?

Thanks,

Joel