I think this error message is somewhat misleading since we create topic on
the first metadata request. It is complaining that a topic with the
required replication factor cannot be created if there aren't enough
brokers to satisfy the replication factor. This is expected behavior
whether you use auto creation of topics or manual creation. However, the
metadata requests will always give you correct information about existing
topics.

Thanks,
Neha