You know what, it's likely this is all because I'm running a bad fork of
Kafka 0.7.2 for Scala 2.10 (on the producers/consumers) since that's the
version we've standardized on.

Behavior in 2.9.2 with the official Kafka 0.7.2 release seems much more
normal -- I'm working on downgrading all our clients and I'll report back.

Sorry for the spam.