Ok,

Contrary to what I said above, the issue does seem to occur when kafka is
launched by the sample startup scripts.  I've filed a bug, with a
test-case:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-945

I'm hoping there's a simple thing to change in the test code that will
solve this (but I suspect there's an underlying problem).

Jason