Unless I'm misreading something, that is controlled by the
topic.metadata.refresh.interval.ms variable (defaults to 10 minutes),
and I've not seen it run longer than that (unless there was other
problems besides that going on).

I would check the JMX values for things under "kafka.server":type="ReplicaManager",
particularly UnderReplicatedPartitions and possibly the ISR
Expand/Shrinks values - those could indicate a problem on the brokers
that is preventing things from settling down completely.  Might also
look and see if you are doing any heavy GCs (which can cause zookeeper
connection issues, which would then complicate the ISR election stuff).

Dave DeMaagd
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 818 262 7958

([EMAIL PROTECTED] - Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:32:42AM -0700)