We've upgraded our ZK installation to 3.4.5 (by using the apt package from
CDH) about a month ago and have been running it since without much issue.

In our case, the only problem is that our previous installation of ZK had
unlimited client connections (maxClientCnxns=0) and the vanilla CDH
installation defaulted this setting to 50, so we hit connection limits in
our particular environment. We raised that config value higher and have
been running smoothly since.

As for the snapshot retention, we chose not to use ZK 3.4.x's built-in
clean up capabilities because the cron job we already had was more flexible
(with different retention times for snapshots and transaction logs).

Cheers :) !

Felix