Hi there. I'm working on a 0.8 version of the protocol for nodejs. And when
thing that I'm not clear from the docs:

"The client will likely need to maintain a connection to multiple brokers,
as data is partitioned and the clients will need to talk to the server that
has their data"

Ok, so far so good. Once I have the initial metadata request I would know
which broker has each partition.

But then looking at the BNF for producerequest:

RequiredAcks Timeout [TopicName [Partition MessageSetSize MessageSet]]

What happens if a client send a message to a topic and partition that is
not on the broker the message was sent to?

What happens in case the client does not specify a partition and the topic
was created with multiple partitions?

Regards

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the
rational mind is a faithful servant. We have
created a society that honors the servant and
has forgotten the gift.