Currently, we don't support embedded consumers in the broker. Doing that
requires running user-level code in the broker, which we haven't thought
about.

Are you concerned about network latency? That's probably in the order of
1ms. In terms of throughput, if you make fetch size big enough, you can
achieve good throughput even with a remote consumer, since the network
overhead is amortized.

Thanks,

Jun