Ross -- thanks.

How much code are you writing to do all this, post-Kafka? Have you
considered Storm? I believe the Trident topologies can give you
guaranteed-once semantics, so you may be interested in checking that
out, if you have the time (I have not yet played with Trident stuff
myself, but Storm in general, yes). Coupling Storm to Kafka is a very
popular thing to do. Even without Trident, and just using Storm in a
simpler mode, may save you from writing a ton of code.

Philip