Hi Jason,

On May 20, 2013, at 10:01am, Jason Weiss wrote:
In my experience directly hitting an ephemeral drive on m1.large is faster than using EBS.

I've seen some articles where RAIDing multiple EBS volumes can exceed the performance of ephemeral drives, but with high variability.

If you want to maximize performance, set up up a (smaller) cluster of SSD-backed instances with 10Gb Ethernet in the same cluster group.

E.g. test with three cr1.8xlarge instances.
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training