A replica's data won't be automatically moved to another broker where there
are failures. This is because we don't know if the failure is transient or
permanent. The right tool to use is the kafka-reassign-partitions tool. It
hasn't been thoroughly tested tough. We hope to harden it in the final
0.8.0 release.

You can also replace a broker with a new server by keeping the same broker
id. When the new server starts up, it will replica data from the leader.
You know the data is fully replicated when both replicas are in ISR.

Thanks,

Jun