Search Hadoop and all its sub project:
Sort:

Switch to Threaded View
Subject: ConsumerRebalanceFailedException
Hi --

I have a Scala Kafka consumer, written in the image of the Java code from the Quickstart doc. I use the consumer for prototyping and debugging so I start and stop it quite frequently. I noticed that every now and then, upon starting the consumer, a ConsumerRebalanceFailedException is thrown (see below). What's causing the problem this exception is signaling and what are the recommended practices for avoiding it? I am using Kafka 0.7.2 that I built with Scala 2.9.2.

Thanks,

-Dragos

Exception in thread "main" kafka.common.ConsumerRebalanceFailedException: Kconsumer-group_mseac02jh0rjdkq4-1363106041719-5b75c065 can't rebalance after 4 retries
at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector$ZKRebalancerListener.syncedRebalance(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:473)
at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.kafka$consumer$ZookeeperConsumerConnector$$reinitializeConsumer(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:733)
at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.consume(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:207)
at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.createMessageStreams(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:137)
at com.servicenow.syseng.kafka.KConsumer$delayedInit$body.apply(KConsumer.scala:69)
at scala.Function0$class.apply$mcV$sp(Function0.scala:34)
at scala.runtime.AbstractFunction0.apply$mcV$sp(AbstractFunction0.scala:12)
at scala.App$$anonfun$main$1.apply(App.scala:60)
at scala.App$$anonfun$main$1.apply(App.scala:60)
at scala.collection.LinearSeqOptimized$class.foreach(LinearSeqOptimized.scala:59)
at scala.collection.immutable.List.foreach(List.scala:76)
at scala.collection.generic.TraversableForwarder$class.foreach(TraversableForwarder.scala:30)
at scala.App$class.main(App.scala:60)