HBase, mail # user - deploy saleforce phoenix coprocessor to hbase/lib??

RE: deploy saleforce phoenix coprocessor to hbase/lib??
Tianying Chang 2013-09-11, 18:37
James, thanks for the explain.

So my understanding is the Phoenix wraps around HBase client API to create a  Pheonix table. Within this wrapper, it will call a "alter table" with the coprocessor when it create a phoenix table, right?

Also, do we need to restart RS after deploy the jar under hbase/lib? Our customers said it has to. But I feel it is unnecessary and weird. Can you confirm?

Thanks
Tian-Ying

-----Original Message-----
From: James Taylor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: deploy saleforce phoenix coprocessor to hbase/lib??

When a table is created with Phoenix, its HBase table is configured with the Phoenix coprocessors. We do not specify a jar path, so the Phoenix jar that contains the coprocessor implementation classes must be on the classpath of the region server.

In addition to coprocessors, Phoenix relies on custom filters which are also in the Phoenix jar. In theory you could put the jar in HDFS, use the relatively new HBase feature to load custom filters from HDFS, and issue alter table calls for existing Phoenix HBase tables to reconfigure the coprocessors. When new Phoenix tables are created, though, they wouldn't have this jar path.

FYI, we're looking into modifying our install procedure to do the above (see https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/issues/216), if folks are interested in contributing.

Thanks,
James