MapReduce >> mail # user >> YARN task default output

YARN task default output
Do tasks that spawn from a YARN AM have a default working directory?  Does stdout/stderr get captured anywhere by default?
I ask because I am setting up tests with the "distributed shell" AM and want to know if basic commands (e.g. ls) will send stdout/stderr somewhere I can see at the end.
Thanks
John