Hive, mail # user - Hive bug in Partition

RE: Hive bug in Partition
Chalcy Raja 2012-10-15, 14:02
Of course we have a trash policy in place.  So I am worried about losing data instantly.  It drops all the paritions of the table one by one.

Finding the bug was accidental and then realize how scary if we had to lose all partitions.  Fixing it may prevent some accidental dropping.

Thanks,
Chalcy

From: Viral Bajaria [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 5:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hive bug in Partition

Not sure about this bug and don't have a test table right now on which I can try this or rather don't want to try this on a table :-)

Did you lose the entire table ? If your HDFS trash policy is the default 24 hours, you should be able to recover and run a quick load command to restore the metadata in hive metastore.

FWIW, we run drop commands using an abstract syntax and not directly from the command-line and so we avoid these typo issues by doing that.