Accumulo >> mail # dev >> loggers

+
Aaron Cordova 2012-01-30, 15:48
Keith Turner 2012-01-30, 15:55
Eric Newton 2012-01-30, 16:18
Jesse Yates 2012-01-30, 17:02
Aaron Cordova 2012-01-30, 18:05
Todd Lipcon 2012-01-30, 18:37
Eric Newton 2012-01-30, 18:53
Todd Lipcon 2012-01-30, 18:59
Eric Newton 2012-01-30, 19:15
Todd Lipcon 2012-01-30, 19:21

even more load on the name node...

Dave Marion

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Cordova" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 10:48:08 AM
Subject: loggers

At the Hbase vs Accumulo deathmatch the other night Todd elucidated that Hbase's write-ahead log is in HDFS and benefits somewhat thereby. He neglected to mention that for years until HDFS append() was available Hbase just LOST data while Accumulo didn't .. but he was talking about the current state of affairs so, whatever.

The question now is, does it make any sense to look at HDFS as a place to store Accumulo's write-ahead log? I remember that BigTable used two write streams (each of which is transparently replicated by HDFS) and switched between them to avoid performance hiccups, so it does sound like a critical part of the overall performance. Such a big change would belong probably in 1.6 or later ... But there may be reasons to never use HDFS and to always use a separately maintained subsystem.

Any one care to lay out the arguments for staying with a separate subsystem? I think we know the arguments for using HDFS.

Aaron