HBase, mail # user - Occasional regionserver crashes following socket errors writing to HDFS

Re: Occasional regionserver crashes following socket errors writing to HDFS
Michael Segel 2012-05-11, 11:36
So I see you're looking at Eran's problem.... ;-)

Since you say he's fairly capable, I'm assuming when he said he had GC and MSLABS set up, he did it right, so a GC pause wouldn't cause the error.

Bad node? possible.  It could easily be a networking/hardware issue which are pain in the ass problems to track down and solve.

With respect to the dfs.bandwidthPerSec... yes its an HDFS setting.  As you point out, its an indirect issue. However that doesn't mean it wouldn't have an impact on performance.

OP states that this occurs under heavy writes. What happens to the writes when a table is splitting?