Avro, mail # dev - Avro RPC interop

Avro RPC interop
Mike Percy 2012-03-04, 23:56
Hi Avro devs,
What is the latest on Avro RPC interoperability? Flume 1.x is currently using the Avro Netty implementation as an RPC protocol, however I am not aware of compatible implementations of this transport in languages other than Java [1] and I wonder if this protocol will ever be compatible [2] with a future standard [3].

Would any of you folks recommend running RPC APIs intended for public consumption on top of NettyServer at this time? It seems to be the one with the most active development going on, and appears to have significant interest, which is a good sign. Since there are other RPC transports available as well - SaslSocketServer and HttpServer - I am also wondering what anecdotal experience others can share about these implementations, in terms of speed, interoperability, and maturity.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,
Mike

[1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/avro-dev/201201.mbox/%[EMAIL PROTECTED]%3E