MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Cohesion of Hadoop team?

Re: Cohesion of Hadoop team?
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Glen Mazza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi, looking at the derivation of the 0.23.x & 2.0.x branches on one hand,
> and the 1.x branches on the other, as described here:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-user/201301.mbox/%3CCD0CAB8B.1098F%25evans%40yahoo-inc.com%3E
>
> One gets the impression the Hadoop committers are split into two teams,
> with one team working on 0.23.x/2.0.2 and another team working on 1.x,
> running the risk of increasingly diverging products eventually competing
> with each other.  Is that the case?

I am not sure how you came to this conclusion. The way I see it is, all the
folks are working on trunk. Subset of this work from trunk is pushed to
older releases such as 1.x or 0.23.x. In Apache Hadoop, features always go
to trunk first before going to any older releases 1.x or 0.23.x. That means
trunk is a superset of all the features.

Is there expected to be a Hadoop 3.0 where the results of the two lines of
> development will merge or is it increasingly likely the subteams will
> continue their separate routes?

2.0.3-alpha, which is the latest release based off of trunk, that is in
final stage of completion should have all the features that all the other
releases have. Let me know if there are any exceptions to this that you
know of.

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/