Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Re: What constitute a successful project?

+
Dai, Jason 2012-11-29, 13:54
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-30, 06:39
+
Jerome Boulon 2012-11-30, 09:04
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-30, 16:05
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-27, 08:08
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 14:19
+
Suresh Marru 2012-11-27, 12:36
+
Benson Margulies 2012-11-27, 13:54
+
ant elder 2012-11-27, 15:16
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 15:32
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-28, 05:41
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-28, 06:00
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-27, 08:29
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-27, 08:41
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-26, 20:21
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-11-27, 00:39
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 03:32
+
ant elder 2012-11-27, 07:50
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 14:12
Re: What constitute a successful project?
Alan, +1 from me.

Cheers,
Chris

On Nov 26, 2012, at 10:32 PM, Alan Cabrera wrote:

> If we decide to give the podling another chance I would prefer to give it another six months rather than just one month.  I don't think that a lot can reasonably be accomplished in one month.   I would also like to see some milestones set in those six months.  If the milestones are met or not met then the decision at the end of six months will be less contentious.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Nov 26, 2012, at 4:39 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>
>> +1 to Jukka's suggestion here. The world isn't going to end if we give them
>> another month, and beyond that, it will give someone besides Eric the opportunity
>> to help cruft the plan (hopefully 2 people besides Eric, since that would mean
>> 3 active peeps in the community).
>>
>> If that plan can't be achieved in a month, I'm +1 to retire.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>>
>> On Nov 26, 2012, at 3:21 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> That lack of concrete plans is a good place to start. Anyone from the
>>> community who opposes retirement should take it up on themselves to
>>> provide such a concrete plan for example in time for next month's
>>> report. Just like the caster of a technical veto should come up with
>>> an alternative implementation. :-)
>>>
>>> As an example of how this can play out, see the way we asked Kitty to
>>> provide such a plan [1] when some members of the community opposed the
>>> idea of retirement. In Kitty nobody stood up to the task, so a few
>>> months later the final decision to retire the project was a pretty
>>> easy one to make.
>>>
>>> Another example with a different outcome is JSPWiki that had a similar
>>> discussion at the beginning of the year, and actually a few members of
>>> the community did start working through all the issues and have now
>>> produced their first Apache release and seem to be on a path towards
>>> graduation even though the project is still far below its past
>>> activity.
>>>
>>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/smhl3cxvrgq5cf22
>>>
>>> BR,
>>>
>>> Jukka Zitting