Hadoop >> mail # user >> Specifying user from Hadoop Client?

Specifying user from Hadoop Client?
Hello

I'm new to Hadoop and I'm trying to do something I *think* should be easy but having some trouble.  Here's the details.

1. I'm running Hadoop version 1.0.2
2. I have a 2 Node Hadoop Cluster up and running, with no security enabled

I'm having trouble overriding the username from the client so that the files/directories created are owned by the user I specify from the client.

For example I'm trying to run:

        hadoop fs -Duser.name=someUserName -conf hadoop-cluster.xml -mkdir /user/someOtherUserName/test

And have the directory "test" created in hdfs and owned by "someUserName".  Instead it is creating the directory and giving it the owner of the user (whoami) from the client.  I'd like to override or control that…can someone tell me how?

My hadoop-cluster.xml file on the client looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>

  <property>
    <name>fs.default.name</name>
    <value>hdfs://server1:54310</value>
  </property>

  <property>
    <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
    <value>server1:54311</value>
  </property>

</configuration>

Thanks for the help

This message and its contents (to include attachments) are the property of National Health Systems, Inc. and may contain confidential and proprietary information. This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any unauthorized action based on information contained herein is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized use of information contained herein may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution and penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message immediately and notify the sender immediately by telephone or by replying to this transmission.