HDFS >> mail # dev >> NameNode be formated while namenode is running

NameNode be formated while namenode is running
Hi,

I have encountered this case in my environment:

1. NameNode is actively running without any problem;

2. someone accidentally formatted the namenode (even if there's one
instance running);

3. The running namenode continues to write edit log starting from some big
txid;
This caused the namenode now in an in-consistent state:

It has edit log and fsimage but if you restart the namenode, it will say
the namenode cannot be started because it expect some txid 1 ;

I think this is a bug. At least when formating the namenode, it should
check if there's an namenode instance already running.

Regards,
*Stanley Shi,*