Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Suresh Srinivas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> There's no reason to maintain multiple implementations of the same
>> feature, that's why per the 2246 jira it was proposed as a "good short
>> term solution till HDFS-347 is completed".   Why is ATM's compromise
>> unacceptable?
>>

> We have already discussed this.
>
> Here is the recap:
> HDFS-347 does not support all the platforms. HDFS-2246 does.
> So removing HDFS-2246 does not make sense unless HDFS-347
> supports all the platforms.
>
> I am not arguing we should retain HDFS-2246 forever. I do not currently
> have bandwidth to add HDFS-347 windows equivalent functionality.
> When I or someone else adds support for that we can discuss removing
> HDFS-2246. Until then I can support HDFS-2246 mechanism. I have
> also proposed how to make the current patch simpler where both the
> features can live together.
>
> I will change my vote to +1 in following two cases.
> 1. HDFS-347 supports all the other platforms HDFS-2246 supported and
>     hence truly becomes replacement.

I assume you mean in trunk?  Given that ATM's proposal is to only
remove HDFS-2246 from branch-2 once (a) we're confident in HDFS-347
and (b) adds Windows support, and we won't be releasing from trunk any
time soon -  from a user perspective - HDFS-2246 will only be replaced
with HDFS-347 until it supports Windows.  Ie ATM's compromise appears
to satisfy your requirement.