Hadoop >> mail # user >> CDH and Hadoop

Re: CDH and Hadoop

On Mar 23, 2011, at 7:29 AM, Rita wrote:

> I have been wondering if I should use CDH (http://www.cloudera.com/hadoop/)
> instead of the standard Hadoop distribution.
>
> What do most people use? Is CDH free? do they provide the tars or does it
> provide source code and I simply compile? Can I have some data nodes as CDH
> and the rest as regular Hadoop?

I think most of the larger sites are running some form of modified Apache release, in some cases having migrated off of a CDH release.  At LinkedIn, we've been using the Apache 0.20.2 release with 2 patches related to the capacity scheduler for over a year now.

In our case, I never deployed CDH, other than a test setup.  I opted not to use CDH in the CDH2 and CDH3 beta time frame due to some patches that I felt were not of a high quality as well as the potential for vendor lock-in.  But I haven't looked at it in probably a year.