Avro >> mail # user >> Is Avro/Trevni strictly read-only?

+
ccleve 2013-01-28, 20:00
+
Doug Cutting 2013-01-29, 23:24
+
Russell Jurney 2013-01-30, 00:50
+
Aaron Kimball 2013-01-30, 23:20
Re: Is Avro/Trevni strictly read-only?
Aaron - is there a way to create a Kiji table from Pig? I'm in the habit of
not specifying schemas with Voldemort and MongoDB, just storing a Pig
relation and the schema is set in the store. If I can arrange that somehow,
I'm all over Kiji. Panthera is a fork :/
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Aaron Kimball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi ccleve,
>
> I'd definitely urge you to try out Kiji -- we who work on it think it's a
> pretty good fit for this specific use case. If you've got further questions
> about Kiji and how to use it, please send them to me, or ask the kiji user
> mailing list: http://www.kiji.org/getinvolved#Mailing_Lists
>
> cheers,
> - Aaron
>

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Avro and Trevni files do not support record update or delete.
>>
>> For large changing datasets you might use Kiji (http://www.kiji.org/)
>> to store Avro data in HBase.
>>
>> Doug
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM, ccleve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I've gone through the documentation, but haven't been able to get a
>> definite
>> > answer: is Avro, or specifically Trevni, only for read-only data?
>> >
>> > Is it possible to update or delete records?
>> >
>> > If records can be deleted, is there any code that will merge row sets
>> to get
>> > rid of the unused space?

Aaron Kimball 2013-01-31, 02:32
+