HBase >> mail # dev >> Review request for HBASE-7692: Ordered byte[] serialization

Review request for HBASE-7692: Ordered byte[] serialization
Hi everyone,

I'm of the opinion that HBase should provide a mechanism for serializing
common java types such that the serialized format sorts according the
the natural ordering of the type. I think many application efforts end up
building a custom, partial implementation of this kind of functionality on
their own. I think HBase should provide a canonical implementation of such
a serialization format so that third-parties can reliably build on top of
HBase. Not just user applications, but other tools like Pig and Hive are
also enabled. Implementations for
HIVE-3634<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-3634>,
HIVE-2599 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2599>, or
HIVE-2903<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2903>could be
compatible with similar features in Pig.

After implementing something similar on multiple occasions, stumbled across
the Orderly <https://github.com/ndimiduk/orderly> library. It's also
appears to have been adopted by other large projects, including
Lily<https://github.com/NGDATA/orderly>.
I've engaged the library's author for some improvements only to find out
he's now at Google and will no longer be maintaining it. Thus, I propose we
take it into HBase.

HBASE-7692 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7692> includes a
patch that introduces Orderly into hbase-common under the orderly
namespace. I have an associated branch on
gihub<https://github.com/ndimiduk/hbase/commits/7692-ordered-serialization>wherein
I've broken the patch out into multiple commits to ease review.
Please take a few minutes to give it a look.

Thanks,
Nick