Drill >> mail # dev >> RC3 Vote: Third time's the charm?

Re: RC3 Vote: Third time's the charm?
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Jacques Nadeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * per your question about versioning, the idea behind the milestone
> versioning was along the following, all working towards a 1.0.0 release:
> 3-7 milestone releases (we're currently at milestone 1), 1-2 beta releases,
> GA.

I would like to amplify this point just a bit.

There is a tradition in Apache to start with 0.0 or 0.1 and work up to a
1.0 release.  The problem here is that the Drill audience is likely to come
largely from the Hadoop world and in that world, the culture around 0.1
style versions has been pretty irretrievably poisoned by the multi-year
kerfuffle about what 1.0 really means.  The result has been massive user
confusion due to non-monotonic release versions and inconsistent planning.

Jacques is trying to appeal more to the JBOSS culture in which releases are
numbered according to the goal of a release.  The goal here is progress
towards 1.0.  The goal here is *not* to make indeterminate process against
an indeterminate goal.

So the proposed release number that Jacques has suggested here *is* a
departure from the recent Hadoop and Hadoop related release style, but that
departure is itself a strong statement that Drill is departing from that
project style and is focussing on building a viable tool quickly and
directly.

I certainly can see both sides of this, but I certainly endorse whole
heartedly the desire to leave behind anything that hints the political
morass in which other Hadoop related projects have found themselves enmired.