Hive >> mail # user >> Load XML file into HIVE

+
Sadananda Hegde 2012-08-30, 19:57
Re: Load XML file into HIVE
Hi,

I was working on this several months ago, and ended up having to flatten each XML document to one root node per line. I believe that the other option would be to write a custom InputFormat.

Matt

On Aug 30, 2012, at 3:57 PM, Sadananda Hegde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to load an XML data file into HIVE.  I created a table with just one column:
>
> create table xmltable (xmldata String )
> STORED AS TEXTFILE;
>
> and then loaded the xml file into that table
>
> LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH '/test.xml'
> OVERWRITE INTO TABLE xmltable;
>
> I thought I can use the XPATH to extract individual elements. But I am not sure
>
> 1) How to specify the root node as a record terminator on CREATE TABLE statement (it's using '\n' by default)
> 2) Change the current context / node for the XPATH
>
> Can some one provide guidance and may be point to some good examples?
>
> Thanks,
> Sadu
+
Sadananda Hegde 2012-09-02, 13:06