Hadoop >> mail # user >> Hadoop on physical Machines compared to Amazon Ec2 / virtual machines

Re: Hadoop on physical Machines compared to Amazon Ec2 / virtual machines
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sole cost of storing 300TB on AWS
will account for roughly 300000*0.10*12 = 360000 USD per annum.

We operate a cluster with 112 nodes offering 800+ TB of raw HDFS
capacity and the CAPEX was less than 700k USD, if you ask me there is
no comparison possible if you have the datacenter space to host your
machines.

Do you really need 10Gbe? We're quite happy with 1Gbe will no over-subscription.

Mathias.